Life gets overwhelming. Especially if you’re in four different clubs, and two require office hours and a heap of work on Sundays and – I’ll stop there. Life gets crazy.
If you’re a person with a lot on your plate and you begin to feel super closed in, get out now. You need an escape plan for days when you feel there’s so much to do but only so many hours in a day (Hey.. comment if you know the song I’m referring to!).
Here are some things you can try frequently to help yourself find the strength to continue to be superwoman.
- Find a place to walk to, and chill. For example, my college has a north and south campus. I sometimes walk to South Campus on a nice breezy day and hang out on the hammocks they have down there. This could be similar for you, or just find a bench in a quiet spot on campus. Emphasis on walk though, because walking always makes you feel good!
- Treat yourself. This is my favorite. I like to tell myself ‘job well done today!’ when I buy a latte from this really great coffee truck on campus. It’s pretty pricey so whenever I finally get to buy it I feel good, it tastes good, and life is good at that moment. Starbucks gives me that kinda rush too.
- Watching Netflix with snacks. This is especially important. I always tell myself “you’re paying for it, use it up!” I’ve been binge-watching the old 90s show A Different World for the past month and I have no regrets. I even watch in between classes, and while at work when there’s nothing to do.
- Call home. The average college student calls home pretty seldom. I cringe while the phone is ringing, but by the time I hang up after a nice talk I feel good. You should call home and let them give you all the props. You are in college being a rockstar, and they know it, and they can’t wait to say “I’m so proud of you!”
- Be with your friends. Of course, when all the work is done and you’ve practiced enough self-care for the day, hang out with your friends. Go out and party, stay in and talk, go eat, etc.
These aren’t the biggest, most grandiose ways to escape from your busy lifestyle as a college student – but the little things matter most right? Let me know if you do any of these or more!